Monday, February 11, 2013

Remembering My Mother's Words

How often of late my Mother's words sound in my ear, "Kid, I just can't do it like I used to."  The 'it' she was referring to was putting in a full days work without hardly a pause.  At 56 I was clueless as to what she meant; twenty years later, I understand full well!

Looking life in the eye, I can attest to the fact that energy levels diminishes with aging. Thursday, after returning from the bakery I, was pooped.  Sitting down and putting my feet up I reflected on the afternoon spent with eight other women - all charter members of the Dough Dough Sisterhood.  It's not all that exclusive an organization, all that is required to belong is a willingness to bake for the sales we sponsor to help support Holy Trinity Monastery.

Sitting there, in my minds eye I saw again Mary Jo help Clara by lining up the ingredients and making the pans ready for the Quick Bread that is Clara's specialty.  With feet that bother her, standing too long isn't any fun for Clara; M.J. makes it easier for her. I also saw Nancy wrapping the Monk's Bread Dorothy Ann had made earlier, but had left to cool.  With this done, D.A. won't have to make a trip back up to the bakery.  And then I heard Thelma say, "Do you need any lemon or orange zest for your scones?  I can do that and squeeze them, too, if you like.  It will give those arthritic hands of yours a break."  All the while Rose is at the sink washing all the bowls and utensils that come her way.

I not only saw, I heard again the stories that were shared, the laughter that accompanied many of the stories.  I thought again of Mom.  No, alone we can't do it like we used to, but when we put our hands - and our hearts - together it's amazing what we can accomplish.  I've said it before, but it's true...life is good!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Judy, once again you speak so eloquently of what we others experience. I'm only 52, but already have so many aches and pains, and it means so much when others help. My biggest problem was allowing them the grace of helping me. Blessings dear! Mary Breiner

    ReplyDelete