Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It's Lent...Time to Look Life in the Eye

It's Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent and the forty day journey to Easter. It's a time for me to look life in the eye.  Doing so, I see all too clearly how many times I have fallen short of the mark.  Times I have treated others unkindly - in word and/or deed.  Times when I have thought my way was the way that whatever was at issue should be done.  Times when I have failed to listen - to others or to the depths of my being where a still voice  speaks of what is right.  Times when my attitude has been haughty and my eyes have not been the eyes of love.

Looking more deeply I see times when I have not given - either alms or time -  to those in need.  Times when my plate has been full to overflowing and the refrigerator filled with leftovers that all too often are not used.  Times when my prayer has been shallow, focused on my needs and, yes, my wants.

Yet, time and again I am forgiven.  Time and again I am given another chance.  Time and again I am called back into the arms of Love.  The words of two old hymns ring true, ' Morning by morning, new mercies appear' and 'I know that my redeemer lives'...because of this I find in looking it in the eye that life truly is good.

Blessings to you on your Lenten journey!


1 comment:

  1. Judy, we all can relate to the "failures" you mention, for we are all too human and weak. But, as you say, thank God we have a loving redeemer who will take us back time and again, loving and forgiving us. (BTW, can't imagine YOU in any of the above, you have always been so loving, kind and caring to me!)

    ReplyDelete